The book is a great way to illustrate the dedication and conservation efforts that a group of scientists are exhibiting to help save the endangered tree kangaroos of New Guinea. The book goes into detail about the tree kangaroo, as well as other animals that are only native to New Guinea. A team of made up of scientists, researchers, photographers and author Sy Montgomery document their journey through the cloud forest of Papua New Guinea. Through the relentless efforts of scientist Lisa Dabek the villagers of Pupua New Guinea began to donate portions of their land to build a sanctuary for the tree kangaroos. Once hunting these soft and harmless creatures for food the natives of Pupua were able to understand that they are not a renewable resource.
The author did a wonderful job of providing details into the preparation for a scientific exploration and the events that occurred along the way. Photographer Nic Bishop was able to capture many photos of the tree kangaroos, as well as many other species. The book would be a great companion for any upper elementary through high school student that is learning about scientific research, endangered species or New Guinea.
I completed a Fry's Readability check on the book because no information on age or grade level was provided. The book is leveled for 7th graders. The vast amount of information in the book and its content would make it enjoyable for any high school student as well. Although it is a picture book you do not feel that is the type of book you are reading. To "hook" the students I would show them some pictures of what the cloud forests and the tree kangaroos look like on a smart board. I would ask them what they thought of the pictures they were viewing? I would then say "I have this great book that tells about a team of scientist who trek to the other side of the world, climb to the top of the cloud forest and single-handedly save an endangered species of tree kangaroos". "If what your looking for is a story of adventure and intrigue then this book is something you must read." "It may not be fiction, but is jammed full of interesting people, danger and a setting that is out of this world."
6 comments:
Thanks for all the links!
Sy Montgomery and Nic Bishop are an incredible team.
Kakapo rescue : saving the world's strangest parrot
Saving the ghost of the mountain : an expedition among snow leopards in Mongolia
The tarantula scientist
The snake scientist
While I agree that high school students could enjoy this book and learn something, I think it would look too much like a picture book to them. Montgomery & Bishop's books are usually aimed at upper elementary and middle school.
I wouldn't have thought to have read something like this! This could be interesting depending on the readability of the text and if it's not boring.
I think this is another great science book that reluctant readers may choose to page through and read a bit of. I think it would do well with upper elementary students who often like to read nonfiction books on animals.
That is awesome that it is full of pictures that can give information and keep students attention. Sounds like a good book to mention to students.
Post a Comment