The Book Blog

Welcome to The Book Blog where a world of adventure is opened with every turn of a page.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Realistic Fiction - Romance & Sexuality


   The book Star Girl by Jerry Spinelli is Realistic Fiction (from list on pg. 53 of class text) and was on the YALSA 2001 Best Fiction for Young Adults list and the 2002 Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults list.  It also won the 2000 Parents Choice Award. 

     The book is a story of a girl named Susan Caraway, better known as "Stargirl".  Stargirl is home schooled prior to entering the tenth grade at, the fictitious, Mica Area High School in Arizona. The story is narrated by Leo Borlock an eleventh grader that, although unsure of Stargirl's ways, falls in love with her. 

     Susan "Stargirl" Caraway has a spirit we should dream of having.  She embraces her own uniqueness and unrelentingly shows compassion to everyone around her, no matter how they treat her in return.  She begins to bring life back into a school that has become dull and spiritless.  While on her journey, transforming the world around her, she befriends Leo Borlock.  It is soon into their friendship, turned romance, that Stargirl and Leo's world is turned upside down.  All it took was that one night, at a winning game, that turned the student body against the girl with unlimited spirit.  Does she conform to the stale and cookie cut mold of her peers; or does she stay an individual of unique character? Read the book to find out how Stargirl and Leo handle their alienation from the students of Mica High.  And whether their love can stand strong against the pressure to be just like everyone else. 
    
     I loved this book.  I thought the character of Stargirl was great.  I wish more high school students, or people in general, would live as freely as Susan Caraway did throughout the story.  The way she showed others kindness and compassion no matter what their response, was remarkable.  The sequel to Stargirl is Love, Stargirl, I have not yet read it, but I plan to in the near future.  I cannot wait to find out what has become of this pure and simple spirit filled with such greatness.  


    The book was very easy to read and would appeal to a range of audiences.  The book is suggested for ages 11-15, but I think older reluctant readers would also find this a refreshing book to read.  There are discussion questions and activities at the end of the book that can be used to further a students understanding of the story line.  This book would be great to use with a class as a focus on character education.  There is even a Stargirl Society that was started in 2004 at Kent State, and now information of how to start one can be found through the following sites Stargirl Society by Jerry Spinelli or Randomhouse Publishers

     To "hook" students to this book I would read pages 3 and 4 aloud in a very enthusiastic way. These two pages describe Stargirl's lunch room debut and Leo's first glance at the mystery girl he had heard about all morning.  I would also use the approach of how I have this great book titled Stargirl, and that after reading it individuals have actually started societies to follow  the humanitarian ways of the character.

4 comments:

Susan Berg said...

This is a book with great spirit. The teenage years with the extreme pressure for peer acceptance can be tough on unique individuals. It's great when we have books that give hope.

Ashley Fitzpatrick said...

Your book hook ideas sound great. I have seen Stargirl on the shelf many times and have always wondered what it was about. It sounds like a good read for teens from what you mentioned about the alienation and pressure stay true to yourself.

Ash said...

This sounds more of like a dreamy/fantasy book. I've also seen it around as well, but haven't read it. I think many girls would relate to the peer pressure and alienation.

Margaret_J said...

I have never heard of this book. However your summary caught my attention. I want to know about star girl and whats makes her so unique. Sounds like a good read. Especially for young adults where sometimes everyone wants to be the same. People can be different and that's great too.