The Book Blog

Welcome to The Book Blog where a world of adventure is opened with every turn of a page.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Edgy


The book Kendra, by Coe Booth, is an edgy/controversial title (from the recommended edgy list for class).  The book was on the 2009 YALSA Best Books for Young Adults list.



How would you deal with the trials and tribulation of being a teenager when it is evident that you are not wanted by the only person who matters to you, your mother?  Kendra must face the feeling of this uncertainty daily.  She is being raised by a controlling over protective grandmother that always thinks the worst, and a mother who does not acknowledge she exits.  Kendra's best friend is her Aunt, but even that relationship gets rocky as events unfold.  Will she ever truly belong to those who should matter most?  Only time will tell in this compelling story of a girl coming into her own, looking for acceptance and love from anyone who is willing to give it to her.  She will do just about anything, even compromising her integrity and self-worth to feel like she matters in someone’s eyes. 

The book is considered to be edgy/controversial.  It does contain sexual encounters and strong language, but the overall storyline is riveting.  The book would appeal to girls from any walks of life.  Kendra is someone that the reader would either relate to or empathize with.  To "hook" the students I would ask them if they have ever felt unloved by anyone.  I would then tell them I have a story of a fourteen year old girl who has spent her life not knowing where she really belongs.  The next step would be to read the excerpt inside the cover.  This provides a brief glimpse at Kendra's background.



3 comments:

Ash said...

Looks like a tough book to get through.

Margaret_J said...

I really like your book hook idea. I know every one at one point in time can relate to a feeling of being unloved. Seeing how Kendra made it through (fiction or not) could be very helpful.

librarylady said...

I wanted to make sure that everyone realized I had posted two books at the same time. I had posted Kendra and how i live now. I had read ahead and just listed them together.

Margaret I agree with your comment. I thought the same thing as I was reading the book. It was fiction but it could really help someone get through similar situations. The one thing I noticed so far about Coe Booth's books is that she really makes it seem like you are reading about true events. I started wondering if she had witnessed or worked with individuals in similar situations.