The book Animal Academy, by Moyamu Fujino, is from the Manga genre
(from the YALSA Graphic Novel List). The book was on the 2010 YALSA Great Graphic Novels for Teens Fiction list.
The book is about Neko Fukuta a fifteen year old that is starting her first year at Morimori High. After the long journey to get to the school Neko is told her acceptance has been revoked. She is then told she will need to retest for admittance to the academy. She is confused and devastated, but does what is asked of her. After retaking the test she is permitted to enter the school, as long as she never reveals that she is human. With much confusion and trepidation Neko enters the academy to start the adventure of her life. It turns out the academy is really a school for animals to learn to look and act like humans. Not only does Neko need to deal with the differences of her peers but her roommate, who is a cat, thinks they are of the same species. What will Neko do to keep her true identity a secret, when everyone changes forms on a whim?
The sections of the book are split into reports. There are multiple volumes of the book for those that are interested in finding out what happens to Neko and her animal friends. Reading this type of book was different, but interesting. I can see how students that love comic books would be interested in the Manga style of writing. The premise of the book is great. Academies where animals are learning to be human make for a great storyline.
To "hook" the students I would use visual images of animals in school settings. I would show the pictures on the smart board and then I would project images of the book. I would ask them what they would do if they found out that the students they are in classes with are really animals pretending to be human. I would then show them the book and read the first few pages. I think it is important to demonstrate how to read a Manga book before the students decide to check them out of the library.
4 comments:
You caught me when you said that she had to be re-admitted because she was human and that the academy is for animals. I think students can empathize with the main character if they've ever struggled in with being different and trying to be accepted.
I'm glad you tried a Manga format book. What a wild premise! I think it would appeal to teens - especially those who love animals and fantasy.
I agree that you have to show students how to read a manga as they are read backwards since they come from Japan. The stories that mangas tell are often strange and interesting and are great for getting reluctant readers hooked.
This sounds like a VERY interesting story line. Animals pretending to be human! I've never heard of Manga style reading so it would be neat to check this book out.
Post a Comment